Cross Country is on the move

Carter Hill, Staff Writer

Cross Country season has begun and the team is excited.

Coach Ben Williams said, “I’m looking forward to the girls of course and proving each week that we run and hoping to peak at the right time which of course will be the class state championship…”

Coach Ben Williams, or Coach Ben, has been at Canton Academy for 9 years and has been coaching cross country for 9 years.

He hopes that this year is the year him and his cross country team wins the state championship.

Up until this year, boys could run cross country, they participated in the races and train all as a team boys and girls.

The majority of the boy runners play football and since cross country interferes with football the school had to make a decision that boys could not run cross country.

Nevertheless, Coach Ben didn’t that let him stop him from trying to succeed at the State Championship.

Training is an major essential to becoming the best.

The team has been training throughout the summer and are continuing to train during the cross country season.

Coach Ben said, “We started training in June like we always do, every year running at the country club of course. Cross country has been moved up to a 5k even for girls now which is three point one miles and unlike what it used to be which is the two and two and a half. We now, of course our practices are now longer and some of them can be as long as four to four and a half miles per practice.”

Coach Ben isn’t playing around when it comes to getting his girls in shape to run at State.

Ann Maclain Laurence, a senior who runs for the cross country team at Canton Academy, said in a recent interview “I’m very excited but also really upset because this will be my last year with my team…”

Since this is Ann Maclain’s last year at Canton Academy she is determined that her team wins the State Championship.

There are many different trails that the runners compete at, there’s Choctaw Trails and the Jackson Prep trail. “The girls hate Choctaw Trails. They hate the hill… that’s got to be the one that’s our favorite because luckily we want to you know have some success over there and they really seem to like this year we started going to whats could the five dollar 5K…”

Ann Maclain disagrees, she was asked what her favorite trail was, this is her response “none of them, they are all brutal and have lots of hills.” Looks like some of the girls dislike the trails in general.

With the cross country season beginning, Coach Ben has been training his runners for the big race ahead of them. He is determined to get his girls ready and to peak around the time of the race.

With the teams great attitudes and inspiration from Ava Dickerson, the fastest runner on the team, it’s going to be a tough run for these girls.

About the Writer
Carter Hill, Staff Writer
Carter Hill is a sophomore at Canton Academy. He is a staff writer for The Panther Post. He likes being active, playing soccer, and acting. He dislikes spiders. He would like to attend The University of Alabama and pursue a degree in theater.