Freshmen visit Indian Mounds

Lane Patterson, Staff Writer

Delilah Vance took her freshman class to the Indian Mounds in Natchez, Mississippi.

According to The Indian Mound of Mississippi, The Indian Mounds is about 128- acre site with Natchez Indian houses, ceremonial mounds, and trails.

The village complex was constructed starting around 1200 CE.  

The Indian Mounds were named for their Natchez people.

There are many things to learn from going to the Indian Mounds.

In a recent interview, Vance was asked what the purpose of going to the Indian Mounds were.

Vance says “I am bringing the freshman to the Indian Mound in Natchez’s to give them a better first hand experience of what we been studying in Mississippi studies, which is the Native Americans and the early European settlers in Mississippi.”

The Freshman class is going to the Indian Mounds to have a better understanding and look on the Native Americans and the Early European settlers.

Vance was asked why is it important to go to the Indian Mounds.

Vance response is “I think it is important because when I asked my students and ask if any of them have actually seen an Indian Mound before only one student out of twenty-five said they have seen one, so i think it’s gonna be good to give them an opportunity to not only see the mounds but we are also gonna have a historian that will take us on a tour.”

The student are going to be able to understand and experience the Indian Mounds much better with the historian being there to help them better understand the Indian Mounds.

The students might learn a lot while at the Indian Mounds, Vance says “The students are going to see the way the Natchez Indians build their community the Grand village.”

Also they are going to learn about Natchez on the hill and some of the history there and they also going to be able to the the visitor museum and learn about some Antebellum history in Mississippi as well.”

The freshman class is going to see how the community was build and all the history at the Indian Mounds and also some Antebellum history.

To wrap this all up is again Vance is going to take the freshman class is going on a trip to see the Indian Mounds.

The Freshman class is going to have a better understanding and look on the Native Americans and the Early European settlers.

The students are also going to be able to understand the Indian Mounds much more with the historia being there to help them better understand.

They are also going to see how the community was build and all the history at the Indian Mounds and also some Antebellum history.