Carter has a passion for students

Abbey Magee, PP Staff Writerr

From math teacher to counselor Michelle Carter has been at Canton Academy for twelve years.

Carter moved to Canton, Mississippi because of her husband Jay Carter.

Mr. Carter worked at the Trustmark Bank in Canton and his family lived here, so they decided to buy a house here.

“When my children got older they called and called wanting me to come teach at Canton Academy,” said Carter

Carter declined the offer multiple times, but when her youngest son was in kindergarten she accepted the job to be a math teacher at CA.

To Carter teaching is not a job it’s a calling she didn’t do it for the money she did it for other benefits.

Just a couple years later, Carter became the counselor at CA.

“I miss the classroom. I really do,” she said.

Carter loved teaching math and being able to expand the education of kids.

Carter also loved being able to help kids with their problems, listening to them and being able to comfort them.

The majority of what a counselor does at a small private school is working with the scheduling, with all standardized test, and making sure everyone has completed what they need to attend a 4-year university or a community college.

“I help them in finding what they wanna do and making sure that they can do it,” she said.

Mrs carter is also the cheer coach and sponsor at CA.

Carter is very involved with all school activities and loves being surrounded by all the kids.

She is a very loving person, who accepts everybody and has a special place in her heart for everybody around her.

When asked who her favorite person to work with was she replied with “ ummm, thats gonna take a while, i like everybody.”

Carter says,“it really depends on what i’m doing. I like people for different things, like if i’m doing something math related its gonna be someone in the math department. People in sports would be the coaches.”

When Carter replied about Mr Millet it showed he’s definitely the favorite.

“But, Mr. Millet is definitely my go to guy especially with creativity and other art things.”

Everybody on the canton academy staff holds a special place in Mrs Carter’s heart and has always been wonderful.

One thing Carter dislikes about her job is the amount of time she has to spend doing stuff with all the changes to the schools system.

She has a lot of responsibility as a counselor and it sometimes is hard for her because the whole reason she got into teaching and working at the school is so she could spend more time with her family.

Carter has a strong feeling about what she thinks CA brings to the community of Canton.

When carter was asked about it she says, “if anything were to happen to Canton Academy the community of canton would probably fold. Canton Academy is like the heart beat of this city, it gives the families of canton something to look forward to.”