Canton Academy’s Safety

Kendall Calloway, Staff Writer

Recently the news of school shootings has been on the rise.

Canton Academy strives to prevent this situation.

Safety and security is a high priority for Canton Academy.

It’s very important to protect the students, faculty, and the property.

In order to do this the administration has to have to have safety measures and security protections, such as cameras, alarms, and door entry systems.

They are doing a lot to ensure student’s safety and security is number one.

There are many ways that they ensure this.

Mark Sandridge, Canton Police Officer and the CA security, said, “We have a large scale security plan consisting of me working in the mornings and afternoons. We are also training staff for the 4 main disasters: medical emergencies, natural disasters, active shooter, and fire hazards.”

Sandridge later said, “This year we have camera acess control and locks on the backs of our doors.”

Canton Academy is getting safer and safer by the day by adding new technology to the school and training new security.

When Sandridge was asked what can Canton Academy do in the future for our safety, he said “Just to update and improve equipment and keep training people to be our defense.”

The locks on the back door helps to keep intruders out unless they have a key or the code.

The cameras allow us to see who might be in or around the building that aern’t suppost to be.

With terrorism on the rise you can never be too careful.

Natural disasters can happen as well as attacks.

We have tornado drills and fire drills consisting of maps in each room locating the nearest exits. Located in each room we have a fire extinguisher also.

When we have an actual threat of a tornado, we have specific spots in the school that will ensure the best possible safety for everyone.

We also have new vaping and juuling policies as well.

If a student is caught vaping on the first offense students may be suspended up to 2 days, and on the second offense it will be expulsion.

Any alchol and illegal substance that are found in a student’s posession will get them suspended for a minimum of 3 days, and may lead to expulsion.

Any students that are caught smoking, vaping, dipping, or chewing tobacco may lead to a suspension for 2 days.

Drug testing and alcohol testing are two wars that Canton Academy does in order to prevent student from doing these kinds of activities.

The first positive testing results in telling the parents/guardians and a 1 day suspension and students aern’t allowed to participate in extracurricular activities from a minimum of 8 weeks from the date of the positive results.

Lastly, a second drug test from hair is to be issued 45 to 60 days after the first positive drug test. The second positive test will result in expulsion, and the parents/guardians must know.

About the Writer
Kendall Calloway, Staff Writer

Kendall Calloway is a sophomore at Canton Academy. She is a staff writer for The Panther Post. She likes softball, sleep, and wasting time. She doesn’t like studying. She plans to attend Mississippi State, pursuing a degree in graphic design, and wants to work at Pyxle.