Homecoming Proposals to Rival Engagements

Courtney Warren, Publisher

Homecoming season is right around the corner at Canton Academy and hoco proposals have taken over the school.
From balloons and crocs, the homecoming proposals are even more extravagant that the previous year.
There’s no rhyme or reason as to why hoco proposals have become so popular but for the first several weeks before the homecoming dance students are buzzing with who will be asked and how.
Carter Hill, sophomore, stepped out of journalism class for a few moments to ask Maddie Cochran with some unique footwear.
Hill created a poster that said, “I will hit Croc bottom if you don’t go to homecoming with me” and asked Cochran in front of the high school during lunch.
“The idea was Maggie Claire’s. She said it would be fun. I picked light blue Crocs because they were a girlish color. I was a little nervous to ask because everyone was around us in the cafeteria but in the end it was fun and I felt good about it. We’re going to have a great time,” said Hill.
Eli Madison, knowing his date loved makeup, purchased a popular makeup eyeshadow brand and used the name to come up with a witty phrase.
“The Naked makeup palette it pretty popular. It’s by Urban Decay. I had my mom take me to buy the makeup. I went to her house and had a sign that said, ‘Will you make your way up to homecoming with me.’ She was really excited and she hugged me,” said Madison.
Reagan Cole, sophomore, shed some light on why homecoming proposals have become such a big deal.
She said, “I think homecoming proposals are a big deal right now because it’s all about putting it on social media.
You want your proposal to be instagram post worthy and it’s also fun to receive a cute gift and know someone is excited to spend time with you. Boys aren’t as gentlemanly anymore so it’s really great to see that boys can actually be nice.”
The homecoming game for Canton Academy will be October 12 and the Panthers will face off against Madison St. Joseph Catholic School.

About the Writer
Courtney Warren, Advisor
Courtney Warren is the Journalism teacher and the advisor to The Panther Post. She is a columnist for her The Bolivar Commercial, a storyteller instructor, and an English teacher. She graduated from Hollins University with a master’s degree in Children’s Literature and is an active member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. She...