Panthers Blow Out the Nighthawks 42-6

Eli Madison, Staff Writer

Friday September 7, the Canton Academy Panthers had a great performance against the Memphis Nighthawks.

The Panthers put up a solid 42 points against the Nighthawks while only allowing a touchdown. The Panthers won over the Nighthawks 42-6, making their record 2-2 and the Nighthawks 0-3.

Canton Academy’s head coach Craig Bowman said he obtained film from both games that the Nighthawks played.

“On film they look a good bit bigger than us up front but I think overall we are faster than them,” said Bowman.

“We haven’t changed much in advance to the game but we are adding more to our offense.”

The Panthers started the game by kicking off to the Nighthawks. After the play, it was clear that Senior Michael Fokeladeh had been injured on the kickoff with an apparent knee injury and was soon carried off the field.

On the Nighthawks first possession they turned the ball over on fourth down. The Panthers obtained the ball and sophomore running back Ty Townsend scored a touchdown from the Nighthawks 28 yard line. The Panthers make the PAT making the score 7-0.

The Nighthawks got the ball back and once again turned the ball over giving the Panthers the football inside the Nighthawks 30 yard line. Senior running back Christian Rainer fumbled on the second carry of the drive and Nighthawks take over.

Then on the second play of the Nighthawks’ third offensive drive, John Marc O’cain recovered a Nighthawk fumble and returned it for a 27 yard scoop and score touchdown making the score 14-0 Panthers.

On the Nighthawks next drive they have chance to score but quickly turn it over again on their own 34 yard line and the Panthers are back on offense.

The Panthers, now back on offense, quickly score once again with Nick Foreman throwing a touchdown pass to Shelby Johnson to make the score 21-0.

The Panthers kick off to the Nighthawks and when the second quarter begins. The Nighthawks have a good drive down the field running the ball all over the Panthers on several plays. They make it passed the fifty and begin getting close to the endzone but just as the Nighthawks had a good drive, an attempt at a deep pass is intercepted by Senior cornerback Josh Humphrey.

The Panthers are stopped short for the first time of the night by the Nighthawks and are forced to punt.

The Nighthawks are stopped once again around the 50 yard line after turnover on downs.

The Panthers take over and after a short drive they score once again. Freshman running back Dakota Jordan ran the ball for a 52 yard touchdown, making the score 28-0 before the half.

The Nighthawks kicked off to the Panthers to begin the half with an embarrassing kick that went only 2 yards and the Panthers made quick work by driving back down the field with several successful runs and ending with another rushing touchdown this time by Senior Running Back Christian Rainer making the score a lopsided 35-0.

After another quick turnover on downs by the Nighthawks, the Panthers took over and quickly scored once again when Senior Kicker and Cornerback Jacob Green rushed for a touchdown to make the score 42-0.

The Panthers kick off to the Nighthawks once again and after a long drought finally get into the end zone.  They attempted a 2-point conversion but failed, making the score 42-6 which would be the final score of the contest.

The Panthers are set to play cross town rivals the Tri-County Academy Rebels next on Friday, September 14th.

About the Writer
Eli Madison, Staff Writer

Eli Madison is a sophomore at Canton Academy. He is a staff writer for The Panther Post. He likes sports, video games, and he dislikes needles. He plans to attend Mississippi State University and pursue a degree in the medical field.