Football Injuries

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football Injuries

Chaney Hale, Staff Writer

Football is a very intense sport, and with that being said, a very intense sport means a high risk of getting injured. Unfortunately, a few of our varsity football players have gone through injuries this year. The list of injured players includes Canton Academy seniors,  Jack Carr, Walker McGuffee, Cole Graham, and Nick Foreman, and CA juniors, Ty Townsend, and Quin Taylor, and CA sophomore, Colton Ellis.

An injury is an injury no matter how severe it is, and at Canton Academy, we have had a large variety of injuries. Jack Carr is a senior at CA who is a guard and a professional punter. Carr suffered a concussion during the football game against Tri County and subsequently was out for a couple of weeks.  Senior Walker McGuffee, who plays offensive tackle, suffered a partially torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum. This injury required McGuffee to be out for a few weeks. Cole Graham, senior starting linebacker for CA, tore his ACL against East Rankin and had surgery on October 14. He will be out for the rest of the season. And last but not least, senior player, Nick Foreman was CA’s starting quarterback until he broke his collarbone at the beginning of the season. Nick was out for eight weeks. “The hardest part of being injured has been having to miss part of my senior year football season,” said Carr. These senior players all agreed on this.  

Quin Taylor,  CA junior, was a starting cornerback and played running back until he broke a bone in his foot against Clinton Christian. Taylor had surgery on October 13. Ty Townsend, another junior at CA, plays linebacker and running back. Recently, Townsend suffered a season-ending injury. Townsend said, “I fractured my kneecap and chipped bones in my knee and around my acl. The recovery is going to take about 4 months.” Townsend had surgery on October 9 and hopes to be back in full swing by baseball season.

Colton Ellis is a sophomore at CA who suffered a back injury. The doctors recommended that Ellis sit out of athletics for several weeks. He was the starting center before his injury. When asked how he thought all of these injuries would affect our team, he said, “Hopefully it won’t affect us too badly, but we do have a lot of young guys. As a whole, these injuries hurt our team mentally than anything. It really kills the vibe we have going for us.” 

There have been many traumatic injuries this year, and sadly there is nothing that can be done about it now. Jordan Price and Carter Martin, both sophomores and football players at CA,  had some input. Price said, “We’d be 8 and 0 for sure if we were injury-free.” Martin added, “We would’ve pulled out more wins for sure.” There is nothing good about injuries, as we all know, but these injuries have brought younger players in to produce and to become better players. With these young players getting all this extra playing time, this could be the start of a promising future for CA football.