Dressing up for Halloween, fantasy or possibility

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ah, Halloween, what a wonderfully spooky time of year, filled with sweets, spooky costumes, and time for some people to really just have fun. CA does celebrate Halloween in a fun way with the Harvest Festival, filled with games, contests, baked goods, and students are also allowed to dress up, that is after school at least. Unlike most schools in the area, CA bans dressing up for Halloween. Even though CA is a private school, some students would still like to be able to dress up. But, some parents and staff may not agree with this for some students may not understand the limits of Halloween costumes, but this is not actually the main reason why dressing up is banned, it’s because CA has a strict dress code. Even though the rules of the dress code are strict, they are being twisted around with dress down Fridays and Homecoming’s full week of dress down. So that’s why students feel that one more day of dress down will not hurt anyone. 

Students and faculty alike were questioned about the idea and their thoughts on the spooky holiday it self, including sophomores, Carli Cooper, and Starr Spivey. “One of my favorite things about Halloween is that cool crisp weather, along with candy, man there’s nothing like coming home with a big bucket of candy” replied Cooper, who really seems to enjoy the sweeter side of Halloween.

Spivey on the other hand enjoys the dressing up side of Halloween. “I enjoy trick or treating with my family and dressing up my dog even though I’m 15”. Both students feel that by allowing the students to dress down will get students and faculty into the Halloween spirit alike. It also gives students something else to get hyped about after Homecoming which gets them so excited for one night, but then goes by so fast. But then there’s the question, what do the staff feel about all this? Well Coach Earnhart was questioned on the idea as well, and things are not looking any different from the last Halloween. “We have a dress code and we’d like to try and stay in our dress code as much as possible and by doing this students tend to follow it more” Earnhart replied and yes, this is a true statement for the more students get used to being in their uniforms after all the dress downs, the less the teachers get onto them. There’s another big thing as well. Earnhart also bought this aspect into light. “In today’s climate certain Halloween costumes can offend people and that would create controversy, which is exactly what we’re trying to avoid here.”

This could also lead to problems at school if one student was to accidentally offend another student and this would to even bigger problems. But, Cooper and Spivey felt the opposite on this one. “ No, I don’t feel that students would dress to crazy or inappropriate, for no matter what this is still a private school and I think we have enough sense to dress appropriately” replied Spivey. “I think it’s a great idea other than people going a little crazy, but other than that I think it’s a fantastic idea”. Cooper did note that things could get a little crazy, but it’s not like they can get any crazier than any other dress down day. But then there’s the aspect of offending someone with their costume that the school would like to avoid, but the two sophomores still thought that the school’s students have enough sense to know what not to wear. 

Another thing students were confused by the idea of allowing kids to dress up at the Harvest Fest but not at school. “Well the Harvest Fest is after school so if kids want to dress up after school that is allowed, even on school grounds, just not during school hours” Earnhart replied. So students are absolutely allowed to go all out for the Harvest Fest, just not during the day or on Halloween. Sadly it looks like Halloween will once again without dressing up at school, maybe next year.