Warren transforms her classroom for new school year

Cole McKnight, Features Editor

Many elementary teachers spend hours working on their classrooms to prepare for tiny students to enjoy throughout the school year. However, Courtney Warren, English teacher at Canton Academy, felt her high school classroom needed some love too. She spent half of her summer working on her new room ideas.

“I wanted my students to feel comfortable and relaxed when they walked into the room,” said Warren. 

Warren explained she was inspired by seeing different teachers decorate their classrooms on Instagram. “We spend so much time in our classrooms I wanted it to be a space I enjoyed being each day. I also have been told by a few students that they feel calmer upon entering my classroom.”

Warren said painting her room took the most time but she was lucky to have a few juniors assist her. She is also the junior class sponsor. Even with the extra help in the room it took her about three weeks to get done with all of the painting.

Molly Grace Patrick, junior, was one of the students to help Warren paint over the summer. “I wanted to help her paint because I thought it would be fun. She’s like my favorite teacher even though she doesn’t teach me. It was also helpful to get community service hours. Without them, I’d have done it anyway.”

Warren painted the walls “sprig of mint” green, added wooden contact paper to the walls, flexible seating options, fairy lights over the board, a brand new labeled classroom library.

Warren said the hardest thing to do in her classroom was “definitely the contact paper. I did it by myself on a ladder and it kept falling down. I don’t recommend trying to do that alone.”

Another unique aspect to Warren’s room is the embroidery. Warren spent her summer learning to hand embroider and cross stitch. She then used her classroom theme of llamas and cacti to cross stitch six different hoops of various scenes to match the theme. “It took a while but it was relaxing. I listened to audio books or watch movies. The embroidery was tough. I learned how to do it by watching Youtube videos.”

Colton Ellis, CA sophomore, said his favorite thing about Mrs. Warren’s room is “the flexible seating for sure. I like the reclining chair. It’s just a room that makes me feel like I want to go do work and calm down.”

Chaney Hale, CA sophomore, said “the room makes me feel nice and relaxed. I like being there.”