Blount Back At CA

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blount Back At CA

Picasa

Picasa

Picasa

Colton Ellis, Staff Writer

Canton Academy was excited for two former coaches to return for the upcoming football season. David Blount, head coach of the panthers, and his son Clay, Assistant Coach are can now be seen leading the Panthers on Friday nights.

Blount, who was recently inducted into the MAIS hall of fame, first coached at Winston Academy in 1978. He coached football, girls and boys basketball, baseball, and track while at Winston Academy. David’s next job was at MRA in 1984. He coached football, basketball, and track. In 1988 David took a job at Copiah Academy where he coached basketball, football, and track. David moved on to Jackson Academy in 1991 where he coached football, basketball, and track. He became the head football coach in 1995 and his teams won championships in 1995 and 1996. He coached at JA until 2000. David took a job at Millsaps as defensive coordinator in 2003 and 2004. He then arrived at Canton Academy in 2005 where he was an offensive coordinator. In 2007 he started work at Newton County High School as a defensive back coach. He later began coaching at Tri-County Academy and in 10 years at TCA his teams won over 100 games. They played for six state championships and won two.

In addition to Blount’s many achievements, Clay has been helping his dad coach for the last 20 years and can be considered by many of the players as “one of the best coaches we’ve ever had,” said sophomore Carter Martin.

“Clay is the team’s heart and the most energetic man you’ll find on a football field in the South,” said sophomore Colton Ellis. “Clay Blount is an inspiration to all, overcoming all the adversity in his life to now being the light to everyone’s day. On your lowest of lowest days, Clay can make you laugh or just realize that life is something we take for granted and that we should all be thankful for everything that we have,” he added.

Clay, who played football under his dad at Jackson Academy, played in four games. “I played against Adams County High School, Madison-Ridgeland Academy, Hillcrest Academy, and Manchester Academy,” said Clay.

Senior, Beau Barr said, “He’s a great uplifting coach. He encourages all of us to do our best. He never gets down on us. We could have just gotten beat 42-0 but he’s talking about the next game.”

“Clay always does the signals and has a trick play ready. He looks up to his dad and it’s admirable to watch,” said senior, Jack Carr.

After Coach Clay graduated high school, his parents had to decide if he was going to get a job and be away from home or if he should just stay with his dad and become his assistant. “We decided that it would be best if he stayed home and just let him go to work with me. He started going to football practice every day and eventually evolved into assistant coach,” said head Coach David Blount.

Clay and his father David both have a passion for all they do.

Ellis said, “You can catch them in their free time either doing stuff that involves football or over at the Canton Country Club playing golf. Earlier this year, Clay made his first-ever birdie on hole 18 after knocking it within eight feet from the pin. He has become a legend at every school him and his dad have coached at.”

Clay has an award that has been given out to players in the past, called the Clay Blount Award. It is given to the player who shows the most spirit and leadership.

Clay said, “I love to chill out at his house and watch TV.  I keep up with every sport.”

He also enjoys going bowling.

Clay and David both have an undeniable love for the game of football and love being around kids. They both keep up with their past players, some are even their best friends in life.

Brett Warren, a 2008 graduate from Canton Academy, had the opportunity to play under both coaches.

“Coach Clay was intense. It was so much fun. He is super energetic. My favorite memory of him was when he was knocked out on the sidelines and then later called it out when we watched film.” Warren remembered the moment with a chuckle, “Clay pointed at the screen and said ‘I got smoked!’ He’s always so positive, even when it gets tough. He made me feel like I could do anything in the world,” said Warren.

“I also really appreciated watching his relationship with his dad. Coach Blount interacted with his son in a way that let you know he loved and respected him. Seeing a relationship like that inspires me to know I can have a special relationship with my child.”

Senior Lance Elsen said, “Coach Clay keeps the morale up. When you need to smile, he’ll have something to say to you. I’ll remember him for the rest of my life.”