Operation Christmas child

Back to Article
Back to Article

Operation Christmas child

Evan Welch, Staff Writer

Operation Christmas Child is something that kids all around the world do.

Operation Christmas Child, uses gift-filled shoeboxes to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world.

Student Molly Patrick said, “I think it is a good because it allows the people who receives the boxes know that they are loved and they get gifts to play with.”

This project is cool because most of those kids getting the boxes probably don’t even know what the toys they are getting are.

It is a good idea to pay for it forward because they are thankful for their gifts because they have never had toys before.

“The way you did these boxes was you could either do a boy box or girl box or you could do both, it was good if you did both you put stuff in the box that match the genders and you could not put food or stuff that could mold or spoil,” said Patrick. 

According to their website, individuals, families, churches and groups fill empty shoeboxes with a “wow” item—like a doll or soccer ball—and other fun toys, school supplies, hygiene items, and notes of encouragement.

During National Collection Week (Nov. 14 – 21) Samaritan’s Purse collects the gift-filled shoeboxes at more than 4,000 drop-off sites in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.

Students throughout Canton Academy participated in Operation Christmas Child to bring gifts to those in need.

According to their website, since 1993, the Samaritan’s Purse project, Operation Christmas Child, has collected and delivered more than 135 million gift-filled shoeboxes to children in more than 150 countries and territories.

In 2016, Operation Christmas Child hopes to collect enough shoebox gifts to reach another 12 million children.