Students get down to the bone in lab

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students get down to the bone in lab

Kendall Calloway, staff writer

Student’s are tired of learning straight out of textbooks, so the solution was to cooperate a dissection of a bone into the class.

This lab consisted of cutting bones in order to see the different parts of the bone.

When Heaven McNalty, sophomore, was asked how she thought the lab went she said, “It was bony. It was cool to see all of the different parts of the bone in person like that instead of in a textbook.”

Libby Ozborn, sophomore, was also asked how she thought the lab was successful and she said, “It was very successful. No one threw up, and we got to see all of the different parts of the bone.”

Ozborn was also asked how this kind of a lab was helpful for learning purposes and she replied, “I think that it was really cool because I could see the parts of the bone I’ve only read and learned in textbooks. I could actually see it to help me get a better understanding of what it really looks like.”

Ozborn added, “I’m just glad no one threw up from the vinegar, including me.”

On the day of the dissection, the class then got in their lab groups and went to our lab tables.

When making the lab aprons, students got trash bags and cut arm holes and a neck hole that is worn like a dress.

Students also had to wear safety goggles and gloves for safety purposes.

Girls also had to pull their hair back if it was down, so it would stay out of their eyes.

The procedure started started out by removing the bones out of the containers and placing them onto the lab trays for examination.

Students were asked to bring the cooked and cleaned long bone of a chicken to class.

They brought anywhere from one to three bones for dissection.

They then prepared the cooked chicken bones by soaking them in vinegar for a total of three weeks.

Students put the bones in the refrigerator to stay there until we were ready to replace the vinegar.

After those three weeks, they checked how bendy the bone was after soaking by taking them outside and pouring out the vinegar.

Studens took them out of the container and bent them to check, and they bent like rubber.

They then replaced the old vinegar with fresh vinegar.

The vinegar served the purpose of taking the calcium out of the compact bone which made the bone bendy and took the hardness out.

The bones sat in Mrs. Moore’s room in an empty container for about a week.

Students were instructed to make an incision down the first layer of the diaphysis of the bone.

They then proceded to pin the top right of the bone down with pins.

Students also pinned down the top left, middle right, middle left, bottom right, and bottom left.

Pamela Moore helped each of the 4 lab groups identify the different parts of the bones.

They identified the diaphysis, Medullary Cavity, yellow bone marrow, spongy bone, cancellous bone, the periosteum, the epiphysis, and the articular cartilage.

After the lab was over, students cleaned up their stations by washing off all equipment and throwing away both the bone and the container that the bone was in.