Abbie Parkinson Come In Clutch In the Manchester Basketball Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Allie Parkinson, Staff Writer

Allie Parkinson

Abbie Parkinson Comes in Clutch in the Manchester Basketball Game

On Thursday Nov 8 2018, the Canton Academy Panthers had a nail biting home basketball game against the Manchester Academy Mavericks.

Jenson Michelle Williams, the starting point guard for Canton Academy’s high school basketball team, said “Abbie Bunch Parkinson was the player who made the biggest play of the game.”

Parkinson came in clutch with the winning points of the game.

In the 4th quarter of the ball game there was only nine seconds left in the game with the score tied at twenty two.

Parkinson was ran into while dribbling the ball and she got to shoot the basketball one for one.

She made her first free throw, making the score 22-23 and allowing her to shoot another one.

Parkinson also made her second free throw making the score 22-24.

With Parkinson scoring these two points, she saved the game for the Lady Panthers.

This benefitted the Canton Academy Lady Panthers and resulted in a win.

Parkinson said “When I was shooting the ball I was a little nervous but all I did was I told myself to think soft and in front of the goal”

“I really badly wanted to end the game and I did not want to miss the shot and end up losing because I do not like to lose and did not want that to be on me,” she added.

Williams said that the star player of the game was Betsy Pace.

Pace was able to play some great defense on Lanie Potter and was also able to keep her from scoring as much as she normally does in other games.

Pace also scored multiple points that benefited the outcome of the game.

Pace said “I loved how we all played as a team, and we picked each other up when mistakes were made. The sophomores coming off of the bench were a huge help because they always hustled and gave 100 percent the whole time. Our goal was to win and that’s what we did.”

The final score of game was 22-24 making the varsity girls basketball team 3-1 in the season.

In the locker room coach Ben Williams, the girls head basketball coach and the athletic director at Canton Academy, said, That win was a big win and that he was very proud of the whole team.

Coach Ben told the girls on the bench he noticed were all cheering on their teammates with pride.  

Coach Ben loved how the crowd was so into the game and cheering the Lady Panthers to a victory.

Williams said, “It is games like these that make me love coaching.”

The Canton Academy Lady Panthers faced the Manchester Mavericks again on Nov 27 at Manchester Academy.

The Panthers were not as lucky in the game at Manchester, coming home with a loss by 2.

About the Writer
Allie Parkinson, Lifestyles Editor

Allie Parkinson is a sophomore at Canton Academy. She is the Lifestyles Editor for The Panther Post. She loves food, hanging out with her friends, and...