Pulsera Project comes to CA

Reagan Cole, Features Editor

The seventh graders are bringing a special project to Canton Academy this month, called the Pulsera Project.

It is making its way through many of the kids hearts and holding a special place.

The Pulsera Project website explains the meaning of it very clearly.

The Pulsera Project is a nonprofit organization that educates, empowers, and connects Central American artists with students in more than 2,100 U.S. schools through the sale of colorful hand woven bracelets, or “pulseras” in Spanish. We brighten U.S. schools with art and compelling cultural education while employing nearly 200 artists and investing proceeds to create lasting change in Central American communities. Students and teachers have spread the Pulsera Project from a single classroom to over 2,100 schools in all 50 states, coloring hallways and classrooms with beautiful Central American art and awareness of social justice issues.

The Central American artists are most of the time living in poverty and were struggling to support their families.

Woven bracelets bring them profit so they can survive in their country.

There are many girls in the school that are really excited about selling these bracelets.

Anna Claire said, “ I’m super excited about the Pulsera Project because they are super cute bracelets and it’s for a good cause.”

She is really excited about sharing more about the people in Central America.

Courtney Warren is also really excited about bringing this project to Canton Academy.

“I’m excited about the Pulsera Project. We did it at Washington School and sells were great, so I’m excited to see how it will do here at Canton, “said Warren.

The school doesn’t earn any money by selling these bracelets, but buying the bracelets will help the Central Americans provide for their families.

Warren hopes that the school is impacted, especially her small group.

“They are very excited about this project, they are very eager to know more and they just have good hearts,” she said.

The sales of these bracelets show our students what it’s like living in poverty in other countries.

Students need to care about helping them out because they are part of our society and our sisters and brothers in Christ.

The bracelets are handwoven by the people of Central America, there are so many different styles and patterns to choose from.

Within a few hours sales had reached over $100.00

Sales at Washinson School reached about $500.00 at the end of two weeks.

Everyone thinks the Pulsera Project will be a success at Canton because of the sales so far and because It’s for a good cause.