ACT Testing

Kendall Calloway, Staff Writer

Canton Academy took the ACT this year on October 18, 2018.

The ACT, or “American College testing” is a standardized test used for college admissions and placements in the United States.

It was founded in November 1959 by Everett Franklin Lindquist.

The test is split up into four main groups consisting of English, Math, Reading, and Science.

Each of the groups is graded on a scale of 1 to 36, and they are all averaged together to get the scores.

1 being the lowest score one can acquire, and 36 being the highest score.

This is a reasoning test that tests your knowledge and reasoning skills, not so much on what students learned on class.

There are many things students can do to prepare for this test.

Students can purchase the ACT book, get help from a mentor, and/or study.

Riley Smith, Grade 10, says “To prepare for the test I studied my ACT practice book. I studied a week before. I could study more and go at a more strategic pace. During this test individuals are put in a room with other students and are not allowed to bring anything in, such as backpacks.

Students must use number 2 pencils and are not allowed to communicate.

Teachers are prohibited to help also.

Smith also says, “I feel like I could have definitely done better. I think I need more practice to help me focus on the test and more practice on the math.”

Students may score higher on one part of the test than the other based on what their highest skill is.

There are some tips and tricks to this test.

On the science section of the test, the questions are all charts, and based on how well students can read them.

Another trick is to work the ACT out of order.

If students spend a lot of time on the hard questions, they may end up rushing through the easy ones.

The last tip is to build an ACT.

Before taking the test, use time to make a plan by studying, figure out the best test taking strategy, and using time wisely.

At Canton Academy, students in the eleventh and twelfth grade are allowed to take this test.

Students in the tenth grade are allowed to take it during the spring test.

Canton Academy strives for their students to do their best to get into a good college, and to help the schools average rise.

When the ACT was first invented it was meant to compete with the SAT test by testing knowledge rather than potential, but not it predicts students standings and helps them get into a college.

Students can take the test at any age, but if it is not your Junior or Senior year, students scores will not count.

It will just be extra practice for the younger students.

The ACT can helps students get full rides scholarship into a college, or it can be the reason a college won’t let you in.

You can take the ACT up to twelve times to try and increase your score.

Your higher score will be kept.

About the Writer
Kendall Calloway, Staff Writer

Kendall Calloway is a sophomore at Canton Academy. She is a staff writer for The Panther Post. She likes softball, sleep, and wasting time. She doesn't...