Prom theme a mystery until reveal

Prom+committee+revealed+the+2019+prom+reveal+in+full+dress%21+
Prom committee revealed the 2019 prom reveal in full dress!

Edi Craft, Managing Editor

As with any school, prom is the highlight of the school year at Canton Academy.

However, with a new prom sponsor full of exciting ideas, the theme for prom has been a huge debate.

Juniors and seniors voted from 10 choices decided on by the junior class, which included The Greatest Show, After All This Time, Jurassic Park, Masquerade Ball, 50s Diner, Good as Gold, Superhero City, Night on the Nile, Tea in Wonderland, and Old Hollywood.

After voting it became clear the top three were Jurassic Park, Masquerade Ball, and Good as Gold.

Soon, a war began with students fighting for Jurassic Park and Masquerade Ball. There was a great debate amongst juniors and seniors with the final decision left up to the juniors.

The two themes that are going head to head are Jurassic Park were Masquerade.

When asked about prom Jacob Lott, 11th grade, said, “We already have a few themes picked out for prom, Jurassic Park, Masquerade, 50’s diner and a winter type of deal.”

Lott likes the idea of a masquerade themed prom. “I think it would be a fun theme because we’d be able to wear masks like in the movies,” he said.

Last year’s prom theme, glow in the dark, was his favorite recent theme.

Jack Carr and Katherine Coward, a couple on prom committee said they are looking forward to recv ae a couple that will be attending prom this year. When asked what theme Carr would like he said, “ Jurassic world is the one I want it win because I love the move and think that Mrs. Warren can make the set up amazing”.

Coward’s favorite theme is Masquerade, “I think that Masquerade is such a timeless theme, it can never get old.”

Bethany Bigger, junior and prom committee member, thinks that the Masquerade Ball would be a fun theme but she would like to incorporate more themes into it to make everyone happy. “We have fundraiser set up to raise up money for prom and the voting days are set,” she said. Lane Martin, junior class president, said he would not release the official theme but did give some insight into how it would be revealed.

“The prom committee has worked with our sponsor, Mrs. Warren, and the theater teacher Mrs. (Delila) Vance to create a skit. The skit will include all of the theme options and each committee member will wear a costume to represent a certain theme. At the end of the skit, the theme will be revealed,” he said.

When asked why this theme reveal skit was needed, Warren said, “I’ve been a sponsor before at previous school. With so many wonderful parents, I realized the theme needed to be known a bit early because senior moms like to throw themed parties for their graduates. I once ran into the issue of a senior mom hosting a party that was the same theme as prom.

“I called that mom, who was very sweet, and asked if she’d change the theme. She did and we went ahead and did a skit reveal so the same situation didn’t happen again.

About the Writer
Edi Craft, Managing Editor

Edi Craft is a sophomore at Canton Academy. She is the Managing Editor and News Editor for The Panther Post. She loves makeup, sports, and being with her friends and family. She hates feet. She plans to attend Vanderbilt and pursue a degree in psychology because she likes to help people with their problems. She is also a good listener.